Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Today I was malcontent with my life. Boring, routine, dull...these and any other adjectives you can think of that are synonyms for "uninteresting" could all be applied. I'm not even sure what triggered it. I took a quick survey of the past few weeks in my head and found myself constantly repeating things, like going to the same classes at the gym on the same days, watching the same TV shows, eating the same foods, doing the same thing at work.

Deviating from the normal routine of eating at my desk, I went to lunch with three of my colleagues and afterward I dropped of the rest of my materials at Teachers College, thereby officially completing my application for Admission. Upon returning to my desk, I was just struck by inertia, heavy and mind-numbing. I overheard my boss talking to a potential candidate for the Assistant Director position (a candidate that we passed over in October ironically), which didn't help matters. My colleague Amanda and I have been doing all the work of the assistant director all year, and neither of us has been recognized for it. Amanda has been working there 17 years and actually makes less than I do, which I don't think is right, particularly when she's doing what I do plus statistics and part of the assistant director's job too. And I'm sure you all know how I feel about having to do ghost work...it's like Roland Berger all over again.

The malcontentedness was enough to get me looking at job postings, which is the first time I've done that since July. Not that I'm seriously thinking of going anywhere, but I just needed to look. I also felt wanderlust tug at my shirt sleeve like a little kid looking for a playmate. Why is the grass always greener on the other side of the fence from my perspective?

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), I brought up my annoyance with everything to Natalie, another colleague, and found she had recently experienced the same thing. Maybe it is the time of year? All the exciting events of winter have come and gone, leaving us with gray skies, biting cold and little hope of being tan ever again. Is anyone else experiencing this right now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home