Sunday, January 21, 2007

An unpleasant experience at Target

From http://en.wikipedia.com:

"The effect of "Mace" or "Pepper Spray" varies on humans. [...] If in contact with eyes it causes automatic closing of the eyes due to intense pain if open. This along with a feeling of suffocating if inhaled it causes the person to be very vulnerable and dependent..."

Yep, that's roughly what it felt like as I coughed my head off while tears streamed down my face today in the Bronx Target. I was just shopping like everyone else, browsing for a full length mirror in the home section when I was overcome by a coughing fit. As I struggled for air, I noticed a great number of other people around me were also coughing. I made my way out of the section while digging in my purse for a Kleenex to wipe the tears away. I ended up having to pause in the frying pan aisle so I could take a drink. Shortly thereafter the security guards were ushering us all out of the area and I overheard one of them say that someone had sprayed mace. No wonder that stuff is illegal in most Western countries...nasty! The effects didn't last for more than a minute or two, but it was scary enough to run me and others out of the store into the fresh air.

2 Comments:

At 3:17 AM, Blogger scottie said...

as i understand it, mace is basically what the military uses for the gas mask chamber exercise we do. i made it though basic training without having to do it, and then had to have it done in hawaii for some reason.

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I've never experienced CN but like Scottie said, the symptoms of it sounds a lot like the military's CS. CS was excellent for clearing out sinuses but I wouldn't go macing yourself when you have a sinus infection :) Thanks for sharing the experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home