Therapy sessions at Cafe Kafka
Yesterday was a good day in terms of mental health and smile factor. I spent three straight hours discussing neuroses with Jung at Cafe Kafka (not sure why it is named for him--maybe he wrote there? Stranger things have been known to happen) and do you know what I discovered? That I am slightly afraid of going back to America because of the Americans! Yeah, yeah I'm one too, I know! That said, I am not so American as I used to be and I'm rather afraid to return to a country whose inhabitants are so fixated on themselves and their country that they don't realize that some of what they do is actually negative and harmful. Not all of what they do, of course (I mean, the iPod came out of the States and that's fabulous), but some of it. I don't mean to offend anyone reading this...it is just something I realized that has been crouched in the back of my mind, perhaps for quite some time. I guess that explains that restaurant incident with my mom, sister and brother-in-law while I was home for the holidays recently. We were talking about various subjects (environment, circumcision and other baby related topics) and my opinion was 180 degrees the opposite of what those three were saying; when I walked out of the restaurant with my mom I asked her how it is that I am soooooo different from the people that raised me and grew up with me and grew up near me? Mom couldn't come up with a true explanation but said she loved me anyway. I think the answer is that I've become at least one percent Austrian (probably more like 30%) and it has completely changed the way I regard the world. Honestly, it might be better put that I am afraid of turning back into one of those Americans who doesn't think beyond her borders. I was once like that and the prospect of returning to that level of ignorance is frightening.

5 Comments:
I'd have to say that this is your most interesting post. In my honest opinion, for what it's worth, I think you'll find that your criticisms of America will continue long after you're back in American society. When you haven't been outside the borders of our country it's easy to be...well arrogant is the term that comes to mind. I went overseas as a very arrogant and ignorant American but I got knocked off my high horse by the experiences I had over there. Granted I love my country, hell I spent 5+ years of my life devoted to it, but at the same time many of the people here in their ignorance about the world around us can really aggravate me. I would say not to worry about changing back to the person you were, you won't if you don't want to. Although you're going to be back in America your experiences in Austria aren't going to simply disappear or fade away. Anyway, I just thought I'd share my own personal view on the matter.
Good show! You are questioning what you've learned. Well done. Oh, wait.. you're not done yet. Actually, it's all just starting. Yes, it's true. We Americans are self absorbed, uninformed and don't care about most important issues in the world. Why should we care? Why should we want to learn? There's no incentive to. Maybe we would learn more if someone was here to help us and teach us, but those folks move to another country or to new york city to be with their own kind. Some of these issues you bring up are cultural. Being circumcised will not make the world a worse place to live. Let them express their traditions. Support them when you can. Some of these issues will take lots of teachings to help people be more knowledgeable. Teachings with care and patience. Showing them that things can be done differently and it won't make their lives harder or more boring. It will take many small lessons... many, many, many small lessons. I have just started my lessons and it seems so have you. Besides, Europeans have their faults, too. Good luck in your learning endeavors!
I think it is not just living in Europe that has changed you, getting out of our basically ethnically uninteresting hometown started you on your way.
After I had been in Chicago awhile, I found that my opinions and experiences differed GREATLY from the people I grew up with... to the point that I don't even care to go to my class reunions anymore...
Having been to both Europe and Japan more than once has openned my eyes to the "Ugly Americans". Thank the Higher Power for the internet so that I can read the foreign newspapers online(and you are correct Ipods are fabulous!!)
three cheers for ipods!!!
and three cheers for people who challenge others in their spheres of interaction.
hip hip hooray!
We didn't raise you not to think but to experience. Not everyone will share your views,ie Grdpa R, and maybe sometimes me. Don't run down those who don't, just help to influence and learn from their ideas and decisions. You went to that first class at the university in Wien that spoke about the Midwestern Bible belt and "our" etho's and you were offened, would you be now? I found what you said about the class to be that you still had a long way to go, but I realized the prof was correct. We are not as understanding of the rest of the world as Uncle B said. Not many ever leave here for long, I believe that 'here' is a great place to live, yeah there are plenty of other places but I do like here. Sometimes it's just fine to not to worry about anything else in the world.
Dad
Post a Comment
<< Home