Saturday, July 22, 2006

Well, actually, I never did get in the field...

Hee.

And good thing too, reading those comments! Apparently I was about to be woefully underpaid and have terrible daymares about rows of corn. Thankfully, I got a phone call last Thursday (the 13th) from Columbia. My contact called to extend an unofficial offer for the Manager, Employer Relations position (not the one I interviewed for, but a step below). I was very excited and still a little wary...the official offer was supposed to come on Monday after HR approval. Once I got that news, I decided I didn't want to have to file taxes in Iowa for two or three days of detasseling work, so I called Mary and told her I wasn't going to be able to bond with the corn after all.

After a weekend of riding around in the convertible (Mom brought it home for a test drive again!) to visit Kris and Caleb, wading in the Maquoketa River at Backbone, eating a quickly melting ice cream cone in the hot wind, and stumbling through some German at the German restaurant in Waverly, Monday came. Mom bought her convertible and I didn't get a call from Columbia. I called, only to discover that my contact was out on vacation...geez. I got her cell phone number and was informed that HR hadn't gotten around to the approval, so it should be in on Tuesday. Close of business Tuesday rolled around and I left a message saying I wanted an official offer before getting on the airplane from Iowa the next morning. She called back and made it "official" in the way people make things official when they have no power or jurisdiction to do so. That was enough for me however, and here I sit in New York. I start on Monday at 9 AM!

I'm very glad to be back here. The city is the same and I find myself relatively the same in it, although slightly happier than before perhaps. I haven't been doing much over the last couple days, but I did get to see some friends play at The Living Room on the LES and it was perfect. I put on my flirty skirt and my suede high heels and skipped off down to the street a la Carrie Bradshaw, all the while dodging rats scurrying around the trash bags. Maybe that picture is slightly less Carrie Bradshaw and more Kari Watson, but whatever. Even the rats could not dampen my glee. Nor could the idiots smoking pot in the movie theater last night (whah huh?). Did I say I'm glad to be here? Well, even if I didn't, it's blatantly obvious. :)

1 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger dennis said...

What a coincidence! I was at that show, too! How nice it was to see you there and in nyc! And you did have a very nice skirt on, indeed. --- who's Carrie Bradshaw? I going to google her now. See you soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home