Sunday, December 16, 2007

Winter in New York

One thing everyone should know about winter in New York: it's a mess. Not messy like the summer's melted ice cream and stinky garbage on the streets, but messy like filthy brown slush instead of pristine white snow. Another thing everyone should know: the 14th Street subway station on the 1, 2, 3 is the COLDEST subway stop ever. If you're going to wait late at night for a train there be sure you put on your snowsuit before getting to the platform. Brrr!

Winter in New York also brings fun things like holiday parties. I attended my fourth last night and managed to host my own a week ago. Having a party (well, a successful one) always makes me think I should have them more often, but then I don't. Maybe that should be my New Year's Resolution: have more parties. :-)

The day of my party it snowed a little bit, so it was particularly festive. I offered up various holiday style cocktails including Gluehwein (mulled wine for you non-German speakers), spiked mulled apple cider and traditional egg nog with bourbon whiskey. Aunt Marion's meatballs were a major hit, as was the spinach-artichoke braid. I feel like I didn't get to talk to anyone for more than 3 minutes because then the buzzer would ring and I'd dash off down the stairs to collect another guest at the front door. I've really got to push Sergo to fix the door release before my next party. It was good exercise though. :-) It didn't really matter that I wasn't entertaining people because they went about the business of entertaining themselves. It's always fun to see your friends interact with and actually like one another. I didn't do an official count, but I believe there were 25 friends here for the majority of the evening so there were lots of new friends for people to meet.

Some selected photos:

A surprising number of us were wearing cowl neck sweaters,
so we commemorated the moment.

My crazy work peeps.

Even some of the Brooklyn contingent turned up!

School/work friends mix with old friends.

What was left of the bar. Definitely enough for another party! Who's coming?

4 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me me me!! i'm coming!

ooooh, when i was at the art institute i used to have to make the 1 to 2 transfer at 14th street almost every night at, like, 11.30pm. uh... COLD!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger scottie said...

ughhh, i'm so jealous that i don't know the ins-and-outs of an awful ny subway stop :( i wanna be a new yorker.

and the cowl neck sweater picture=priceless. you guys were real geeks that night for actually taking a picture!

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming to the next party if your having aunt Marion's meat balls.
Dad

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me the date of the party and I'm there (as long as I am not in Barcelona or doing a show)....and I will even help MAKE Aunt Marian's meatballs.....
Uncle B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home