Jeff's wedding
I was home a little over a week ago for my brother's wedding. It was the first time I'd been to Iowa since Christmas, but it was not your typical lazy Iowa visit. In between wedding preparation, trying to keep up with my half marathon training schedule and eating lots of yummy foods and drinking way too much alcohol, I hardly had time to sit down! Even the extra day and a half I didn't expect to spend there were busy. It was a good visit though, as I got to see lots of people that I haven't talked to or seen in ages, including an old college friend, several cousins and lots of the townsfolk I grew up with.
The funniest thing that happened at the wedding? The bride's family (father, brother and sister) had at some point all decided that I should "hook up" with her older brother Duane. Dwayne? No idea. You get the picture. Anyway, I had noticed that he was watching me at the rehearsal dinner and had already pointed it out to Kris as strange. At the reception the pressure really came on, with very direct comments and questions coming at me from all of them, including Duane/Dwayne! After dancing with this guy a couple of times, I had fully realized there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell for him in my world and I had to flat out say that I wasn't going to hook up with him. Gee, I can't wait to see them all again at some family function. Lord have mercy.
After the rehearsal dinner on Friday night, Dad, Cary and I went out with Jeff and his friends for a while in hopping downtown Cedar Rapids. It's actually quite a nice downtown, albeit very quiet. It was strange to be there with Jeff's friends, all of whom I remember as kids! I didn't even recognize half of them, although when they told me their names again I was able to pull them out of my memory. I guess I'm getting old if those people are 21.
It was fun to see my nephews, although Evan wasn't around very long. His mom dropped him off before pictures on Saturday morning and picked him up again around 8 PM from the reception. He looked cute in his tux but wasn't very cooperative in the pictures. I got to see more of Caleb, who is walking and running around now! He's very adorable, except when he's crying, but you all know how I feel about kids. He's just like Evan in that he loves his Grandpa Jeri. I got to witness his first haircut, which was desperately needed. The kid had a baby mullet! I can't believe that my sister let it go that long without getting it cut.
United Airlines decided I should extend my vacation for a while. My flights to O'Hare were canceled two days in a row due to "weather" in Chicago, so Sunday night I got to see Pirates III with my parents in Oelwein ($5.50 for a movie!) and get my favorite ice cream with crunch sprinkles at the Ice Cream Junction. Monday night I got to stay with the newlyweds for the second time in a week and we ate at Texas Roadhouse, which is SOOOOO good! Man. Those rolls and cinnamon butter are to die for.
I feel like I know Denette (the bride) much better now, after having spent a couple evenings with them by myself. I had only ever seen her a handful of times before this last week, so I guess staying longer in Iowa was a good thing. At least for me...maybe not for them. Would I want to host a family member two nights after my own wedding? Maybe...maybe not. Ha!

3 Comments:
a few things...
1) lookin' foxy in your red dress!! looks like you've gotten over the what-to-do-with-my-new-short(er)-hair woes.
2) omg, i still can't believe boy has a son, and that he could be so old already.
3) omg, i still can't believe that carne is a mommy and that caleb is that big already.
i think it might be time for me to attend another watson family function again sometime soon :)
I can't believe the Ice Cream Junction is still there, I use to date the son of the owners, talk about benefits!
It doesn't seem that Boy should be that old, but then again my bro is dating a woman almost my age. They grow up so quickly.
I can't believe you didn't want to hook up with her brother!?!?
Kris
Post a Comment
<< Home