Technology rears its ugly head
Oh God, just had a disasterous interview over webcam! This was interview number four with persons 7, 8, and 9 from Columbia (oh yes, I'm in deep). The connection just wasn't cooperating for the first person, so we gave up after about 5 minutes and talked on the phone, where we had a wonderful crystal clear connection. The interview ended well, with the woman saying she'd tell her colleague how great it was to talk to me. Then the second part of the interview started...not so good. We talked over the web for a few minutes and then switched to the phone. When they called the call showed up as an Austrian cell phone number, which is a phenomenon that I have recently been experiencing. Any time anyone from outside the country has called me and the number has shown up as an Austrian cell number, the connection has always sucked. Today was no exception. In fact, today was the worst it has ever been! I wasn't able to hear them on occassion although they could hear me. Then we tried to end it over webcam instead of over the phone and the computer I'm using restarted itself before I could say goodbye!!!! So I waited for it to boot up again (why did it shut off in the first place?????) and when I got back online and signed into Skype and tried ringing them again, they didn't answer. Argh. So I sent them both an apologetic email (cause I can't call them because I am not at home!) and I hope that that makes up for the abrupt end to a very difficult conversation.
In addition to technical difficulties, neither of them had seen my resume or prepared any questions for me (and this office holds interviews all year long...seems sort of ironic doesn't it?) and I only had three questions for them because I have talked to so many people that I don't really have any more questions about the position. Sure, I have questions about the recruiting process, but I would have those answered once I started the position, so they don't really have any place in an interview. So the whole thing was rather awkward, made even worse by the poor connections.
*sigh*
Thank God the interview with the ultimate head of Career Services went well. And hopefully these last two will just be able to laugh it off. I can't imagine this will ruin my ability to get hired, but I still wish it would have happened differently.
Is it cocktail hour???

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home