The Fortunate One
I've been reminded twice over the last 24 hours just how lucky I am, how blessed, how taken care of. These were in separate conversations with two different people: a former colleague and a fellow student. One of them has been laid off in the last three weeks and is now $46k in debt due to her Master's degree. The other's department at the university won't sign the form that says her degree is job related so she's been dealing with a garnished paycheck for the last four months (minus $2500/month, which on any salary (esp. a non-profit one) is a major blow to the finances)in order to catch up on the taxes she owes on the additional "income" she's earned in the form of tuition remission. Both of these people are now in a rather painful place and their situations remind me that the things I think are big issues just ... aren't. Concerns over relationships that aren't movie-perfect, or whether to buy jeans this month or next, or over when to get homework done, or boredom at work just don't amount to much. I have so much to be thankful for and I'm hoping these people's stories will keep my own situation in perspective for a while.

1 Comments:
I can understand what you mean. I'm not enjoying my job at the moment. There always seems to be too much to do and too little time to do it and no money in the budget to give me overtime. At the same time I have a job that gives me a 3 bedroom apartment in a great neighborhood while several people I know have lost their jobs or had some other life changing event that put them from financially healthy to living paycheck to paycheck if even that. I have to say that when I look at their situations it makes me feel lucky to have what I have.
-Andy
Post a Comment
<< Home